"A commonplace book is what a provident poet cannot subsist without, for this proverbial reason, that “great wits have short memories:” and whereas, on the other hand, poets, being liars by profession, ought to have good memories; to reconcile these, a book of this sort, is in the nature of a supplemental memory, or a record of what occurs remarkable in every day’s reading or conversation." - Jonathan Swift, "A Letter of Advice to a Young Poet"

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Back to school

In the time since I last posted (eons), I've finished both my summer internships, moved back to school, and begun seriously devoting myself to grad school applications. This involves various things - hours spent reading course descriptions at University X, watching videos about student life at University Y, and searching the web for the most accurate weather statistics for the region around University Z, among other things. Most importantly, most excitingly, and most terrifyingly, it involves squishing your life history, your dreams, and your very soul into 500 to 1,000 words.

As daunting as it sounds, I've had some good times with this. It's exciting to think that people will be seriously trying to extract my personal essence just from reading my words. On the other hand, there are moments when I feel like putting one typing one more word will make me vomit all over my keyboard and give up writing forever.

So the question is, If you can hate something so much, does that mean that you actually love it?

Meanwhile, there is homework to be done and the weather is disgustingly hot. Welcome back.

No comments:

Post a Comment