"A commonplace book is what a provident poet cannot subsist without, for this proverbial reason, that “great wits have short memories:” and whereas, on the other hand, poets, being liars by profession, ought to have good memories; to reconcile these, a book of this sort, is in the nature of a supplemental memory, or a record of what occurs remarkable in every day’s reading or conversation." - Jonathan Swift, "A Letter of Advice to a Young Poet"

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Music - Laura Marling

I'm always looking for new music, especially stuff that I can play on loop while writing. I like songs that havn't got too much noise in them - clean melodies with some intricacies in the back-up that I can tune out if I need to. Sometimes classical music is just the ticket, but sometimes you need some kind of beat to push your hands over the keyboard.

Anyway, I think a lot of people share the quandary of what to listen to when writing, so I wanted to share my newest find, Laura Marling.


She's a British singer/songwriter with 3 albums out. I'm not very good at categorizations in this type of music, but I think she falls somewhere in the zone of folk music. She looks a little like Evanna Lynch, the wonderful Luna Lovegood actress, and she writes notes to her fans by hand and puts them up on her website.


I've been listening to her music for the last couple of days and am starting to love her songs - original and interesting lyrics, wonderful control of her voice, from pure crystal to rough earthy.

She also won me over with this bit of lyric from her song New Romantic, which is just so much more personal than most of the trite love songs one mostly hears:

"Maybe I should give up, give in,
give up trying to be thin,
give up and turn into my mother,
god knows I love her."

I love the sentiment of not disavowing one's family or one's body in the young person's quest to become a grown-up. You can listen to that song on YouTube here.

Another one of my favorites is All My Rage - click here for YouTube video of her playing it at the Glastonbury festival and looking somewhat celestial

And here's a video of her playing a song while riding a merry-go-round. How cool is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment