"A commonplace book is what a provident poet cannot subsist without, for this proverbial reason, that “great wits have short memories:” and whereas, on the other hand, poets, being liars by profession, ought to have good memories; to reconcile these, a book of this sort, is in the nature of a supplemental memory, or a record of what occurs remarkable in every day’s reading or conversation." - Jonathan Swift, "A Letter of Advice to a Young Poet"

Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Winter Beauty

Winter has come to England, or at least my corner of it. We've had two days of snow so far and are expected a whole week of it. It's amazing for a California girl to see her whole world transformed like this, as if somebody had made a cast of every single contour of the streets and the trees and houses and replaced the real things with ice sculptures.
I have Christmas trees outside my window, snow monsters parked along the street, and a river of alternating snow and slush where the pavement should be. It's all a silver lining to these very dark and cold January days.
 
There's not too much more to say about it. Snow is quiet, and I think my favorite part about it is standing staring out at a landscape and resting my eyes from the usual hustle bustle of details and movement. Nothing moves fast, except the sudden bits of snow falling on my head from trees. Uneven landscapes are suddenly smooth and monochrome. 
Hope you got a sense of how pretty it is from these pictures - I haven't actually ventured further with my camera than my bedroom window, but maybe later in the week, if it keeps up, I'll go take some pictures in the park, which is so beautiful. In the meantime, I'm gonna make some banana pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment