"A commonplace book is what a provident poet cannot subsist without, for this proverbial reason, that “great wits have short memories:” and whereas, on the other hand, poets, being liars by profession, ought to have good memories; to reconcile these, a book of this sort, is in the nature of a supplemental memory, or a record of what occurs remarkable in every day’s reading or conversation." - Jonathan Swift, "A Letter of Advice to a Young Poet"

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Summer

There have already been almost three weeks of post-graduate life and almost three weeks of summer. It feels like a long time and no time at all, of course. Time warps weirdly in transitional moments because you don't really know what to tack it onto yet.

So far, my summer has consisted mostly of nature and books, which is a great start. I'm busy as ever, it feels, but I'm dotting the next few months with weekends and weeks here and there that will feature nothing but grass and trees and my two feet. And between those dots, I'm trying to squeeze in lots of long stretches of story time, which, since I don't have my entire brain to devote to it, draws mostly on other people's stories. I've read three books since graduating and am half-way through two more, which feels great. All of them simply for pleasure, except that it turns out one will be on my course reading list next year.

And by the way, I don't think I've mentioned it before - but now it's a bit ridiculous, because I've known for months, but anyway - I'm moving to the UK next year for to get a master's degree. I'm afraid that you all missed the initial excitement, but you can still catch the new upswing in excitement that began soon after graduating. Suddenly it feels real and I have a pile of things that I will take to England and I have a plane ticket and I have many many wonderful plans.

But there's still a few more weeks of summer in California left to enjoy - and to put to productive use. Being me, I have a lot of projects that I want to get done. Including writing some more on this blog. Expect some book reviews coming your way soon. In the meantime, the sun is shining and the errands are waiting to be attended to, so off I go for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment