"A commonplace book is what a provident poet cannot subsist without, for this proverbial reason, that “great wits have short memories:” and whereas, on the other hand, poets, being liars by profession, ought to have good memories; to reconcile these, a book of this sort, is in the nature of a supplemental memory, or a record of what occurs remarkable in every day’s reading or conversation." - Jonathan Swift, "A Letter of Advice to a Young Poet"

Sunday, June 3, 2012

May Things

This post is inspired by italktosnakes's new video Things I'm Into: May! which you should all check out. Anyway, the idea is to recap a month, not just with the books one's read or things one's done, but all the stuff that's worth sharing and recording. I think it's a nice idea, anyway.


Summer fruit: I love love love summer because of the strawberries and blueberries and blackberries and peaches and nectarines and cherries and apricots, etc. etc. And this morning I just discovered a really spiffy way to eat fresh peaches that I wanted to share:
  • Cut your peach in half and take out the pit. 
  • Spread fromage blanc on the cut side generously. 
  • Drizzle honey over the fromage blanc. 
  • Shake a light dusting of cinnamon on top of the fromage blanc as well. 
It's a little messy, but oh so good. I'd include a picture except that I just ate the last bite....


YA literature: This is sort of a thing I've been rediscovering. I suppose I read it when I was actually a "young adult" (although frankly that term seems to apply to me more at age 22 than at age 15 or whatever), but I also read a lot of regular books, by which I mean adult books, I guess, although I'm not sure I subscribe to that differentiation, given the fact that I enjoyed said books before I became a fully-fledged adult. But after four years of college, some easy reading feels great - I mean easy in the sense of a story that just sucks you along with it, as opposed to a book that makes you stop and deconstruct sentences.

So far, I've finished the Hunger Games trilogy and The Fault in Our Stars, both of which came very highly recommended and still managed to exceed my expectations. I wouldn't rank either of them as in any way lesser than other books, nor are they written carelessly, or with regard only for story, not style. It's just that they don't beat you up (except maybe emotionally) while you're reading them. They don't judge you for wanting to turn the pages very quickly and find out what happens next before you sit back and think about metaphors.

In short, they feel friendly. I enjoy intellectual sparring as much as the next person, but sometimes it's just nice to sit down with someone who will tell you a story.


I suppose that's it for now. Let me know in the comments if there's anything you've discovered in the last month that you simply must share.

Happy June!

1 comment:

  1. P.S. If you're feeling adventuresome, try the same confection with a nectarine instead of a peach and nutmeg instead of cinnamon. Also quite tasty.

    ReplyDelete